I saw this recipe on the Create channel from the Edible Feast show, but could not find the actual recipe online (and honestly, I’m not sure if this is exactly the right recipe either!) but I made it at home, and it was AWESOME! So awesome, that i had to post it on the blog ASAP.
Not only is this recipe delicious, it is simple, and great for when you have guests!
- 2 whole medium eggplants
- 1 1/2 Tbsp tahini
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- Dash of salt
- 1/2 cup mixed fresh herbs, chopped: Cilantro, mint, parsley (I used basil and chives also)
- Dash of hot chili pepper
- Drizzle of honey
- Make the eggplant: Preheat your grill to medium high. Place the eggplants on the hot grill, cover and cook for 30 minutes. Turn the eggplants over and cook for another 20 minutes, or until completely soft (should feel like a deflated balloon) and the skins are nearly all charred. Remove from the grill and onto a serving platter. Cut into the eggplant from stem to bottom, leaving the eggplant skin closest to the cutting board intact. Open the eggplant like a book, exposing most of the flesh.
- Make the sauce: blend tahini, lemon juice, and salt until smooth. If the mixture is too thick, add 1 Tbsp of water and blend again.
- Sprinkle the herbs over the eggplants, then pour the dressing over them, dust them with the chili, then drizzle a very small amount of honey over them.
- Enjoy! This is one recipe where I do not eat the skin of the eggplant. Charred pieces have been shown to be carcinogenic!
Book an appointment here! Marina Bedrossian, RDN, CDN, CLT is a family holistic dietitian who specializes in nutrition for digestive issues, nutrition for Autism, ADHD, and nutrition for food sensitivities.