This recipe, like all can be modified in many ways. I love using a yogurt sauce like this one
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds, ground
- 3 Tbsp water
- 1 lb zucchini, coarsely grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green onion, chopped
- ¾ cup hummus
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 gluten free, dairy free, and soy free pita rounds, halved and warmed (Can be homemade, MyBread gluten free bakery, Katz gluten free, etc.)
- 2 cups lettuce, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1 small red onion, sliced thinly
- Place ground chia seeds into the 3 tbsp of water in small bowl. Let sit for 10-15 minutes or until the solution takes on a texture similar to a raw egg.
- Wrap grated zucchini in clean kitchen towel and wring out excess moisture.
- Place chia mixture, zucchini, garlic, and green onion into large bowl and mix to combine. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Drop 1/3 cup of zucchini mixture into skillet and gently flatten. Cook 2-3 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Transfer to paper-towel-lined plate, and repeat with remaining zucchini mixture.
- Spread 2 Tbsp hummus inside each pita half. Fill with 2 tomato slices, 2 zucchini cakes, red onion slices, and 1/3 cup chopped lettuce. Enjoy!
*Special thanks to Christina Chan, Dietetic Student.
Book an appointment here! Marina Bedrossian, RDN, CDN, CLT is a family holistic dietitian who specializes in nutrition for digestive issues, nutrition for Autism, ADHD, and nutrition for food sensitivities.