I LOVE yogurt sauce! Since my husband is Middle Eastern, it has become a staple in my diet. It can be low in fat and is high in protein and calcium, and it moistens up cuts of meat which tend to dry out.
Want a quick & easy dinner? Put a few pieces of chicken breast on skewers, season with lemon juice and garlic, grill, and eat with rice and plenty of yogurt sauce with a salad.
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled and grated
- 2 cups plain non fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil (optional)
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- chopped dill or mint to taste (amount varies whether using fresh or dried)
- 1/4 medium sized garlic clove minced
- salt and pepper
- If the cucumber has a waxy skin, I like to peel it first. Once the cucumber is grated, roll it up in a few paper towels and squeeze the excess water out (the water is great to drink!)
- Mix the cucumber with the remaining ingredients and enjoy!
I love eating this with raw vegetables; it is a great alternative to ranch dressing. Its also awesome with home made pita chips! (recipe found in a previous post here)
Book an appointment here! Marina Bedrossian, RDN, CDN, CLT is a family holistic dietitian who specializes in nutrition for digestive issues, nutrition for Autism, ADHD, and nutrition for food sensitivities.