Oatmeal! My favorite breakfast regardless of the season! But especially when it’s colder outside, a nice warm bowl of oatmeal does the trick. But hold on, I’m not talking about packaged pre-portioned instant varieties–I like my plain, old-fashioned rolled oats. Plain and simple (of course I add my own fixin’s). Why am I so fond of this rolled grain, you ask?
- It is a whole grain, which means it has lots of vitamins and minerals
- It has a nice helping of fiber and protein
- It is low in fat and calories
- It is tremendously versatile
If you haven’t already, you should try making your own oatmeal from old fashioned rolled oats. Cook them with water or milk–your choice! Try adding
- walnuts, cinnamon, and some plain greek yogurt
- ground nuts with a touch of maple syrup
- fresh fruit (apples, pears, peaches, plums)
- frozen fruit (berries)
- raisins/dried cranberries, cinnamon, and nuts
- a bit of fruit preserves with plain yogurt
The possibilities are endless!
Book an appointment here! Marina Bedrossian, RDN, CDN, CLT is a family holistic dietitian who specializes in nutrition for digestive issues, nutrition for Autism, ADHD, and nutrition for food sensitivities.