I’m part of a CSA (community supported agriculture) which provides me with a fresh box of produce, straight from the farm every week. CSAs are great for so many reasons:
- They support local farmers who are our neighbors, rather than huge companies or corporations
- Since the farms are local, the food doesn’t need to travel far which saves on gas
- Depending on where you live, you can find a CSA to meet your needs and fit your schedule (there are plenty in Southern CA)
- Many CSAs have organically grown produce which are free from GMOs (genetically modified organisms)
- With the help of a CSA, you can spend less time in the supermarket, and even go food shopping less often!
With a CSA you can sign up for a number of weeks, although you pay up front for it all. The farm will put whichever vegetables are ready at the farm into the box, so each box is a surprise! This can be scary for some people, but it also pushes you to become creative!
Read on for tips and ideas for using produce you’ve never used before, or simply if you have run out of ideas!
Join a CSA today!
Book an appointment here! Marina Bedrossian, RDN, CDN, CLT is a family holistic dietitian who specializes in nutrition for digestive issues, nutrition for Autism, ADHD, and nutrition for food sensitivities.